Frequently Asked Questions
Can I still apply for a course starting September 2017?
- We are still accepting applications for all degree courses right up until September 2017. You will have to apply through UCAS Clearing.
- Please note that the entry requirements will be lower than those currently published.
- Call us now on +44 (0)116 253 5677 or contact us here so we can support you through the process.
What opportunities will I get at Echo Factory?
We are unique in that you actually get to launch your career and/or your own music business as part of the course. This is achieved by:
- Real industry experience from year 1
- 1:1 tuition and mentoring every week
- A personalised & bespoke learning experience, putting you and your dreams centre-stage
- Collaboration with real artists/musicians/producers/creatives/professionals
- Industry Showcase events
- Perform at and run your own events at our in-house 250-capacity live venue
- Regular industry networking events for you to make new contacts – linking you to all parts of the Creative Industries, not just music in isolation!
- Echo Factory Record Label, with a new imprint launched each year that you get to brand and market. Sign real artists on Production and Development deals, or use it as a launch pad for your own career.
- Entrepreneurial training and preparation for a varied and successful career in the future Global Music Industry
- Call us now on +44 (0)116 253 5657 to discuss your career options or contact us here.
Can I transfer to Echo Factory from another course?
- We accept students who have part-completed an undergraduate degree or are looking to progress from an HND or HNC.
- If this is something you are considering, please call us on +44 (0)116 253 5677 or contact us here.
I'm over 21. Can I study a degree course at Echo Factory?
- We accept students over the age of 21 and believe it is never too late to develop key skills for a career in the music industry.
- Check out our page on mature students here or contact us today on +44 (0)116 253 5657.
What are the course fees?
- Fees are £5,995 per year.
- All degree courses are eligible for Student Loan finance.
- We deliver exceptional value for money, as most universities charge £9,000 per year!
Can I apply for student finance?
Yes, our degree courses are eligible for student finance as they are validated by University of Wolverhampton. You can find more information on student finance here.
Is Leicester a good place to study?
- Leicester is home to over 35,000 university students.
- It’s £6,000 per year cheaper to live in as a student compared to London and £3,500 per year cheaper than Brighton or Manchester!
- It’s a multi-cultural, cosmopolitan and diverse city which is big enough to house thriving cultural, creative and business sectors, but small enough to experience a sense of belonging to a community. It’s a very welcoming, tolerant and safe city for people of all backgrounds and beliefs.
- There’s a huge variety of venues, bars, clubs, restaurants, shops, leisure and sports facilities.
- We are 5 minutes’ walk from Leicester train station, 10 minutes’ walk from the main coach station with good links to all major cities. You can get to Central London in just over an hour!
- Leicester is an inspiring and safe place to study, collaborate, experiment, develop and perform!
Am I missing out by not being in London?
- A common misconception is that all of the opportunities and work exist in London. The truth is that London is now vastly oversaturated and most music professionals live and gain the majority of their work outside of London.
- It is much easier to build your connections and gain opportunities in a smaller, thriving city like Leicester, where the spirit of collaboration is strong and welcoming.
- It’s eye-wateringly expensive to live there (£6,500 per year more than Leicester!)
- Echo Factory is located in the heart of the Cultural Quarter of Leicester, which houses over 200 thriving businesses working in media, arts and creative industries. As an Echo Factory student, you will network and collaborate in this vibrant community!
- It only takes an hour to get to Central London on the train from Leicester, which is often quicker than commuting from within London itself!
How can I convince my parents that a music degree is worth having?
- Although the music industry has more opportunities than ever before, it is fiercely competitive, so it’s understandable if your parents have some anxieties with your choice of career!
- Fortunately, our unique ethos and teaching methodologies will ensure you are given the best possible chance of succeeding, to the extent that you get to launch your career as part of the course!
- Echo Factory offers you the highest level of professional music training and 360-degree knowledge of the music industry. By studying with us, you will become well rounded and highly equipped for a long-lasting and successful career.
- You will gain in-depth knowledge of music business and develop transferable business and entrepreneurial skills that can be applied to any industry.
- Echo Factory teach skills in networking along with providing exclusive networking events where you will master the craft of creating new contacts.
- Through one to one tuition on our performance course, along with music theory development, each student can develop their musical talents to a professional standard and become highly employable.
- Contact us to arrange a bespoke visit, which will give you and your parents the opportunity to meet senior members of the teaching team, have a tour of the facilities and learn more about our unique and forward-thinking approach.
What are the entry requirements for the BMus (Hons) Contemporary Music Performance degree course?
- 64 UCAS points or equivalent or relevant industry experience. We welcome applicants that have studied Arts Award.
- Musical competency at Grade 6 or equivalent
- Theory competency at Grade 5 or equivalent.
- All applicants are expected to audition (remote submissions can be accepted if you cannot travel). The audition will include performance, aural, instrumental technique, sight reading, and harmony and theory.
- If you have not taken formal grades (ABRSM/Trinity/Rockschool) we can assess your musical competency in the audition.
- Call us now on +44 (0)116 253 5657 to discuss whether this is course suitable for you or contact us here.
What are the entry requirements for the BA (Hons) Music Business degree course?
- 72 UCAS points or equivalent or relevant industry experience. We welcome applicants that have studied Arts Award.
How do I apply to an Echo Factory degree course?
- We encourage you to speak to us before submitting your application. To get impartial advice and support, please call us on +44 (0)116 253 5677 or contact us here
- You will have to register and apply through UCAS. You can register here
- Course codes for the BMus Contemporary Music Performance Degree can be found here
- Course codes for the BA Music Business Degree can be found here
Do I need to have studied music at school or college?
- There is no requirement to have studied GCSE/A-Level/BTEC music.
- For the performance course, you will need to demonstrate musical competency via audition (Grade 6 or equivalent).
- Call us on +44 (0)116 253 5677 or contact us here to talk through your career options with one of our industry experts!
Can I study more than one instrument?
- Yes! Weekly 1:1 tuition is included in your course fees and we encourage you to learn several instruments whilst studying with us.
- We typically recommend you stick to one main instrument per semester for your 1:1 lessons.
- There is also plenty of opportunity to perform on multiple instruments through the Collaborative Music, Music Production, Composition and Studio parts of the course.
Can I play instruments if I'm studying Music Business?
- Of course, we’re a music school, after all!
- You will have weekly shared sessions with the performance students, where you will have plenty of opportunity to perform and collaborate.
- During music production sessions, you can also get involved creatively in the recording process, playing your instrument of choice.
- As an Echo Factory student, you have access to all of our studios and rehearsal spaces (and our own live venue!) where you can record and perform, at no extra cost.
- You can also gain access to our top performance tutors for 1:1 private lessons at a largely discounted rate.
What support is provided to me as a student?
- Your wellbeing is of paramount importance to us and you will benefit from a comprehensive support structure.
- You will be allocated a personal tutor, industry mentor and student representative, as well as having access to the Course Leader and Director of Studies.
- The Admin team is always on hand for any day to day requirements.
- Should you have any additional learning support requirements, a learning support worker will be assigned to you, which may include accessing support and equipment funded by Disability Student Allowance.
- See our Student Support page for more detail.
Is there accomodation nearby?
- There is a huge variety of accommodation nearby to choose from, suitable to all budgets.
- Our admissions team are great at supporting students during the transition into University life and are on hand to help you find suitable accomodation.
- We also create a database for all students that are looking for shared accommodation, so we can put you in touch!
- Call us on +44 (0)116 253 5657 to discuss your needs or contact us here.